We’ve been talking about it and now the experts
Six features to look for in your storage QoS solution:
- Guaranteed QoS to every application within a shared storage platform
The defining feature of “Storage QoS” solutions, it obviates the need for storage silos in a datacenter. This capability allows QoS to be affordably delivered and scaled to thousands of applications.
- Automated resource allocation to enforce QoS policies
Hardwiring storage IOPS/throughput is no longer feasible with a rapid increase in number of applications. Admins should be able provision or change performance for any application, on-demand.
- Zero proprietary lock-in and hardware flexibility
It’s now easy to avoid expensive proprietary lock-ins with the emergence of software-only solutions. Further, ensure that you can flexibly choose any storage device (SATA, SAS, SSD) based on your workload demands, especially with the hyperbole around “all-flash” architectures.
- Standard storage features for security, reliability and efficiency
The new solutions should atleast match, if not exceed, the capabilities offered by legacy solutions in high availability (HA), disaster recovery (DR), backup, thin provisioning, de-duplication and data compression.
- Centralized management with granular analytics
Storage admins deserve a break too! Admins should be able to easily provision, monitor and manage storage across multiple sites, clusters, accounts and volumes from a single console.
- Certified and ready to integrate with virtualized environments
Wouldn’t it be great to provision/manage storage for your VMs from your vCenter console?
Given the relevance of QoS solutions for virtualized environments, this one’s a no brainer!